February 7, 2020 – Thorp announces verdict in murder of Okay teen

Wagoner County, Oklahoma – An Okay man is guilty of murdering and torching a 15-year-old boy in 2017, according to Wagoner County jury on Friday.

The trial, which began on Monday, was the second chance for Cody Thompson, 26, to assert his innocence, after his case a year ago ended in a mistrial. Testimony ended Friday, and after deliberating for less than an hour, the jury of three women and nine men found Thompson guilty of first-degree murder and desecration of a corpse.

“Nothing will ever bring Brennon Davis back to his family,” said Jack Thorp, the district attorney for District 27, which includes Wagoner County; “but justice is an important part of the healing process; and we pray these guilty verdicts give Brennon’s family some semblance of peace so they can begin to heal.”

The state’s star witness, Josh Herrington, 25, already serving a life sentence after confessing to his role, testified Thompson fired the shotgun blast that killed Davis on January 11, 2017. He said he and Thompson, armed with a loaded shotgun, a .38 special and a can of gasoline, drove Davis to the Jackson Bay area of Ft. Gibson Lake. Once at the campsite, Herrington said they took turns shooting Davis; and after Thompson fired the fatal shot, they doused him with gasoline and set him ablaze, intending to destroy evidence and hamper identification.

“Thompson and Herrington thought they were criminal masterminds, desecrating a boy’s body to make it impossible for investigators to identify him,” Thorp said, “but there’s always evidence. And what the fire couldn’t destroy turned out to be the key to unlocking the investigation.”

An investigator with the Wagoner County Sheriff’s Office testified to finding a key on Davis’ smoldering and unidentifiable remains. On a hunch, Danny Elliott said he took the key to the home of a boy who had just been reported missing. The key matched Brennon Davis’ home, which immediately made Thompson and Herrington persons of interest when Davis’ mother reported her son had been hanging out with them.

Herrington’s mother also testified to seeing Davis with Thompson and her son shortly before the murder.

“Because two grown men befriended and fatally betrayed a teenaged boy, there will be no holidays, no first day of college, no graduations or weddings for an innocent family,” Thorp said. “The one silver lining in this senseless, heinous tragedy is that two very bad guys are off the streets, and they won’t be able to inflict this kind of harm on another innocent victim or family.”

The jury recommended Thompson serve life without the possibility of parole for first degree murder and seven years for desecration of a corpse. A judge will formally sentence Thompson on March 10.


Read the Muskogee Phoenix’s coverage:

Thompson found guilty of murder